Portage Glacier Cruise Only - 10:30 am (Self Drive)
Portage Glacier Cruise Only - 10:30 am (Self Drive) - AC1 Itinerary
Get up close to Portage Glacier aboard the mv Ptarmigan. The one-hour cruise includes narration from the National Forest Service. This sightseeing tour is a perfect option for vacationers and visiting friends & family since it is only a one hour drive from Anchorage.
mv Ptarmigan Highlights:
- mv Ptarmigan is the only boat operating on Portage Lake
- Fully-narrated tour by an on-board representative of the U.S. Forest Service
- Fully-enclosed, heated cabin
- Expansive windows for the best views
- Topside view deck offers a great vantage point for watching Portage Glacier “calve,” and for visitors to enjoy the fresh, glacial air
- Holds up to 149 passengers
- 80-foot vessel was built on site at Portage Lake to U.S. Coast Guard specifications
- 6.5-foot draft for minimal environmental impact
- Operates on national Forest Service lands of the Chugach National Forest and is operated under a special-use permit from the USDA Forest Service
- The mv Ptarmigan‘s sound system cannot be heard from the shore, ensuring preservation of this naturally peaceful setting for wildlife and for other visitors
- Hull designed for safety in ice-filled waters
Driving Directions to Portage Glacier:
- Take the Seward Highway south from Anchorage.
- Turn left on Portage Glacier Road (milepost 78.9) approximately 48 miles out of Anchorage.
- Travel 5 miles to fork in road, take the right-hand fork, travel a 1/2 mile, and turn left for the Portage Glacier Cafe (401 Portage Lake Loop).
- Address: 1500 Byron Glacier Road, Girdwood, AK 99587
All bookings must be made at least 5 days in advance.
Portage Glacier Cruise
Enjoy a one-hour cruise on Portage Lake