Portage Glacier Cruise & Tour (Transportation Included)Duration
Approximately 5 1/2 hours
May 16 - September 17
Adult - $89.95
Child - $49.95
- Easy Activity Level
- Wheelchair Accessible
Venture on a spectacular cruise across Portage Lake, home to Portage Glacier, on this half-day tour. Before your breathtaking cruise, you’ll drive to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center where you’ll tour this great wildlife sanctuary. Next, board the mv Ptarmigan, the only boat operating on Portage Lake, for an unforgettable one-hour cruise across an iceberg-dotted landscape. Standing just 300 yards from a relic of the Ice Age, you’ll watch for fractures of ice break off the glacier and crash into the water below. Portage Glacier is Alaska’s second most visited attraction and once you see the pristine views in person, you’ll understand why.
mv Ptarmigan Highlights:
- mv Ptarmigan is the only boat operating on Portage Lake
- Fully-narrated tour by an on-board representative of the U.S. Forest Service
- Fully-enclosed, heated cabin
- Expansive windows for the best views
- Topside view deck offers a great vantage point for watching Portage Glacier “calve,” and for visitors to enjoy the fresh, glacial air
- Holds up to 149 passengers
- 80-foot vessel was built on site at Portage Lake to U.S. Coast Guard specifications
- 6.5-foot draft for minimal environmental impact
- Operates on national Forest Service lands of the Chugach National Forest and is operated under a special-use permit from the USDA Forest Service
- The mv Ptarmigan‘s sound system cannot be heard from the shore, ensuring preservation of this naturally peaceful setting for wildlife and for other visitors
- Hull designed for safety in ice-filled waters
Cruise Portage Lake on Gray Line Alaska’s dayboat mv Ptarmigan
Get up close to Portage Glacier aboard the mv Ptarmigan. This one-hour cruise includes narration from the National Forest Service. This sightseeing tour is a perfect option for vacationers and visiting friends & family since it is only a one hour drive from Anchorage.
If you have not booked a hotel with us, please check in for this tour at the Westmark Anchorage 15 minutes prior to departure.
Departure Location: This tour departs from the Westmark Anchorage Hotel, located at 720 W. 5th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501.